Rainbow Cake with Melted Ice Cream Topping!

by - 20.8.15







 Baking a good ol' Rainbow Cake was never really in my baking list. I thought it was too overrated, too common and too easy. Who needs to know how to bake a Rainbow Cake anyway? It's all common sense: divide all batters, colour each mix, place it in the oven, then stack them on top of each other. Tada! A Rainbow Cake! Easy.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. Waaay too confident, I thought. My abilities were defeated by this cake I once thought was an 'easy peasy don't need to read no recipe coz I ain't no amateur, I'm a pro' cake.





     My first attempt at baking this lovely colourful cake didn't turn out how I wanted it to be. First of all, it's because I didn't use an accurate recipe, therefore, the layers got too crumby and dry. So I had to lift it up as gently as possible (I had to hold my breath!) then place it carefully on top of each other. The cakes were literally crumbling and falling apart as I was just beginning to slide my palette knife under it. It was a total mess. Pretty colourful cake crumbs everywhere!

I didn't want to bake another batch, layering the cakes were already too stressful and tiring. It was like trying to build a sand castle without any water in it (ok, I'm exaggerating). Since I didn't want to waste a couple more cups of flour anymore, I decided to just deal with these awfully crumby cakes. It's better than nothing.





Buttercream + Crumby cake = RIP cake..

Now what I've learnt: you need to be patient when it comes to butter-creaming/smoothing your cake.
I got too excited with all these buttercream I had, knowing and hoping it could save my cake's life. How can it save a crumby cake you ask? By covering up all flaws and imperfections (those bubbles and tiny holes that you want to get rid off on the side - like make up). At least that was what I thought.

So I grabbed my palette knife and butter-creamed away!
It didn't go too bad. Although, if your cake is really crumby, try to spread the buttercream lightly and make sure it's at room temperature, because trying to work with a frozen buttercream can make the cake crumble even more!

After your first layer of buttercream, place it in the freezer for about an hour. Once the cake is frozen, you will see that the buttercream got thicker, and whiter -  more chance of having a clean and smoother texture when applying the second layer.




(Third Rainbow Cake attempt. Not bad?)


The idea of placing Melted Ice Cream on cakes was inspired by Katherine Sabbath's gorgeous cakes. So I gave it a go! 
Just so you know, the ice cream isn't an actual ice cream melting. It's made up of cake crumbs (yes, I wouldn't let my cake crumbs go to waste!), royal icing and wafer cones! I can easily say that this is the best part of it all! I love cake decorating!

All you need to remember before baking this is:
- to choose a quality type recipe (best recipe down below!)
- don't underestimate the Rainbow Cake 
- don't act like a pro
- always be patient 
- don't rush and assume things

But hey, in the end, it's still all worth it..
Coz you get to eat it!

Remember, no one's judging you.
Have fun!

xx
ysabel ;)




INGREDIENTS

Cake:
- 350g self-raising flour
- 350ml canola oil
- 350g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 40ml milk
- chosen food colouring 

Topping:
- chosen food colouring
- ready made buttercream
- ready made royal icing
- 2 cones

Tools:
- (5) 7 inch cake pans
- cake leveler or serrated knife
- cake board
- palette knife
- cake turntable

Baking Time:
175 degress - conventional 
25 - 30 minutes
(always keep an eye out!)



Make sure to watch my tutorial! 





You May Also Like

0 comments